Juicy roasted gooseberries in a soft muffin with a crumble topping. These Gooseberry Crumble Muffins are perfect for breakfast or a not too naughty treat any time of the day.
Gooseberries to my mind are a much underrated fruit, which seems to have fallen out of favour with so many. This is such a shame as the fruit is just bursting with flavour. They can be a bit tart especially if under-ripe but a little sharpness can really bring sweet dishes to life.
They certainly do that in these Gooseberry Crumble Muffins. I’ve roasted the fruit first with just a little sugar. Then mixed these into a light muffin batter and spooned them into muffin cases. To finish off the muffins are then sprinkled with a crumble mixture before baking.
The end result is a light muffin that is not too sweet and full of flavour, delicious served with coffee at breakfast. I love these muffins served while still slightly warm from the oven. You can also reheat them easily by popping into the microwave for 20-30 seconds to get the same effect.
If you want to prepare ahead you could roast the gooseberries ahead of time although to be honest they roast in about the time to takes to make the crumble topping and weigh out all the other ingredients so it’s not really necessary.
I’ve used red gooseberries, as these were the first to ripen this year on my mini allotment. But you can use the more common green gooseberries as well.
If you cannot get fresh gooseberries you can use frozen ones, just roast directly from frozen, or skip the roasting and let them defrost beforehand, then stir in the sugar and continue as before.
Step by Step Gooseberry Crumble Muffins
Gooseberry Crumble Muffins
- 250 g gooseberries (9oz)
- 1 – 2 tbsp golden caster sugar
- 75 g plain flour (3oz)(all purpose flour)
- 40 g butter cut into cubes (1½oz)
- 2 tbsp demerara sugar
- 350 g plain flour (12oz) (all purpose flour)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 125 g golden caster sugar (4½oz)
- 300 g Greek Style natural yogurt (10oz)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large egg
- muffin tin
First roast the gooseberries.
- Preheat the oven to 200℃ (180℃ fan)/400°F/gas mark 6. Spread the gooseberries on a baking tray and sprinkle with 1 2 tbsp caster sugar. Roast in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
Meanwhile, Prepare the crumble topping.
- Sift the flour into a bowl and add the butter and rub in with your finger tips until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Stir in the demerara sugar and set aside.
- Next mix the flour, baking powder and caster sugar together in a mixing bowl and make a well in the centre.
- in a separate bowl beat together the yogurt, oil and egg with a work until combined. Pour into the centre of the dry ingredients.
- Add the roast gooseberries and any juices. Beat together until the ingredients are just combined.
- Line a muffin tray with paper cases (or grease well) and divide the muffin mixture equally between the cases filling about three-quarters full.
- Sprinkle a little crumble mixture on the top of each muffin and bake in the oven for 20 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool in the tin for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack.