These little vegan energy balls, easily made from store cupboard ingredients, contain no added sugar or fat making them perfect for snacking upon when the munchies hit.
So, let’s get to it and bake!
Energy Balls with Date, Apple & Almonds Yum
Yield: 15 Balls
You will need:
Stick Blender (or Food Processor)
Medium sized Airtight Container
For the Energy Balls
1 Orange – Juice of all, Zest of half
1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/2 Lemon – Juice of
1 small Eating Apple (ie/ Coxs)
30g Chopped Almonds
How to make them:
1. Cook down the dates. After double checking the dates for stones, roughly chop them up. Place into a small pan with the orange juice and orange zest. Place over a medium heat to allow the dates to cook and soften. Cook for 3 or 4 minutes. Stir regularly. Once the juice has been fully absorbed by the dates turn off the heat and tip the mixture into a bowl.2. Blend. Add the ground cinnamon to the dates and stir. Use a stick blender to break up the dates further creating a smooth puree.
3. Add ingredients to the date mixture. Add most of the oatmeal and all of the ground almonds to the mixture and stir together thoroughly. Add more of the oatmeal if your mixture feels particularly soft.
4. Prepare the apple. Peel, core and finely chop the apple. Toss through the lemon juice.
5. Add the apple & chopped almonds. Tip the finely diced apple and chopped almonds into the mixture & stir together thoroughly.
6. Shape into balls. Take a teaspoon amount of the mixture and roll it between the palms of your hands to create a walnut sized ball.
7. Chill. Place a sheet of greaseproof paper into the base of your airtight container. Place the shaped balls into the container positioning them so that they don’t touch one another. Ideally avoid layering them on top of one another. Place the container with the lid attached into the fridge to allow the balls to firm up.
a) If you choose to prepare the mixture in a food processor, you shouldn’t need to cook the dates. You may also find that you won’t need as much orange juice, nor as much oatmeal.
b) Omit the ground and chopped almonds if you are catering for somebody with a nut allergy. Add more oatmeal if this is the case.
c) Perhaps replace the orange juice with apple juice if you prefer.
d) The Energy Balls will keep for 3-4 days if stored in a refrigerator in an airtight container.